Thank you for your contribution.
Abbott Meader Collection
Primary Format and Extent
film (12,749 ft.) : sd., col. ; 16 mm. print.
Collection Date Range
1969 - 1982
Collection contains two factual works and outtakes. "Orff-Schulwerk: American Odyssey" (1979) provides an initial look at the American Orff-Schulwerk Association, filmed in seventeen schools in seven states. "Stretching Out" (1982) was filmed at the Very Special Arts Festival held at the Pineland Center, a school for handicapped and developmentally disabled individuals in Pownal, and features poetry by Spindleworks, a Brunswick workshop for mentally retarded adults. Collection also contains educational/cultural works: "Portrait of Harriett Matthews" (1969), "Deep Trout" (1981), and "Spem in Alium" (1982). The films employ the Maine landscape as a vehicle for metaphoric and poetic statements. See also Huey Collection.
Credits for Portland-based MICA are: Abbott Meader, director; Bruce Williams, sound; and, Huey, camera. Abbott Meader has created numerous personal or experimental films since 1962. In addition to filmmaking and painting, he has taught art at Colby College in Waterville. Orff-Schulwerk is a non-traditional approach to education; founded by Carl Orff, it employs music as means to unlocking the creative forces in each individual.
Northeast Historic Film
The Collection is open for research.
Items in this collection: 9
Showing 1 - 9 of 9:
1) Orff-Schulwerk: American Odyssey
'An initial look at Orff-Schulwerk in America; filmed at seventeen schools in seven states. A cinematic and candid study, documenting students at various stages of the learning experien...more
5) [Stretching Out A-Roll Elements]
This is a silent A-roll of Stretching Out. // In excellent condition, but has several loose splices that need to be redone. // 'Filmed at the Very Special Arts Festival held in Pownal,...more
6) [Stretching Out B-Roll Elements]
This is a silent A-roll of Stretching Out. // In excellent condition, but based on condition of splices in acc. 0249.0001, they may need to be redone. // 'Filmed at the Very Special Art...more
7) [Stretching Out Mag Track Elements]
This is a full-coat magnetic soundtrack for Stretching Out. // In excellent condition. // 'Filmed at the Very Special Arts Festival held in Pownal, Maine, 1981. An honest and revealing...more
8) Stretching Out (Soundtrack Negative)
This is an optical soundtrack negative for Stretching Out. // In excellent condition. // 'Filmed at the Very Special Arts Festival held in Pownal, Maine, 1981. An honest and revealing l...more
Post new comment
Most Popular Collections:
Featured Hidden Collections:
- Bath Historical Society Collection
- Groth, Ernest Collection
- Hiram Historical Society Collection
- Medomak Camp Collection
- Pearmain, Pierce Collection
- Maine Department of Agriculture Collection
- Maine State Museum Collection
- Vinalhaven Historical Society Collection
- Stillman, Ernest G. Collection
- Hodgkins, Earl Collection
- Bailey, Solon and Betty Collection
- Bangor Historical Society/WABI Collection
- Bradley, Cameron Collection
- Brown Paper Company Collection
- Bucksport High School Football Collection
- Bucksport Junior High School Collection