Ed Lupfer Collection
Credit: Ed Lupfer Collection, Northeast Historic Film. "Pirate" boat at Camp Kawanhee.
Credit: Robert N. Lupfer home movies. "Camp Kawanhee." 16 mm. film. From the Ed Lupfer Collection at Northeast Historic Film, Bucksport, ME. MP4 video, 1:36.
Primary Format and Extent
23 film reels
Collection Date Range
1927 - 1952
The Ed Lupfer Collection contains 23 reels of 16 mm. film; the creator was Robert N. Lupfer of Springfield, Ohio. Film shows the Lupfer family at home in Springfield, traveling in the United States and in Europe. Coverage includes Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire and Princeton University in New Jersey. Camp Kawanhee, a boys' summer camp in Weld, Maine, is shown as Lupfer children attended the camp. In New England the family visits Plymouth Rock. Robert Lupfer shot extensive footage of two guest ranches in the American West: one unnamed ranch in Arizona and Eatons' Ranch in Wyoming. In Arizona Lupfer covered the Remuda Rodeo and a Western parade. US travel includes national parks and monuments. There is an Atlantic crossing with footage of the SS Washington.Suburban childhood is represented with children's plays and pageants, swimming in a club pool, sidewalk and backyard play including a sequence of boys in football helmets.The Collection also includes two purchased reels, Shakespeare's Stratford, and The Coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
Robert Newton Lupfer and Ella Mason Lupfer lived in Springfield, Ohio. Ella Mason grew up in a section of Detroit called Indian Village. Indian Village district of Detroit, MI. Robert N. Lupfer worked for the Elmwood Myers Company of Springfield and later founded Springfield Leather Company. Their children were Edgar, Mary (called Hopie), and Joe. Some Lupfer family history is recounted in A standard history of Springfield and Clark County, Ohio. Edgar B. Lupfer, the donor, was a resident of Springfield, Ohio. He attended Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, NH, and Princeton University. He married Sarah (Sally) Henry, a graduate of Vassar College, as was her mother-in-law, Ella. Edgar B. and Sally Henry Lupfer purchased a summer house in Brooklin, Maine. Children are Jonathan Lupfer and Caroline Lupfer Kurz.
Northeast Historic Film
The Collection is open for research.
Condition Governing Reproduction and Use
Authorization to reuse and/or reproduce must be obtained from Northeast Historic Film. See http://oldfilm.org/content/stock-footage-licensing for more information.
Items in this collection: 23
Showing 1 - 10 of 23:
1) Children at play, 1928--Robert N. Lupfer--home movies. Reel 1
Children on porch and in the garden. Opening scenes of a toddler (Ed Lupfer), on a porch with an adults hand on left. Three children in back yard with swingset. Ed Lupfer in the mi...more
2) Children, Detroit visit and golf--Robert N. Lupfer--home movies. Reel 2
Children with small cart. A toy slide with rails that sends the cart down the sidewalk. Girl hangs upside down on swingset trapeze, also on rings. Boy with ice cream cone sits on wic...more
3) Halloween costumes, dance performance--Robert N. Lupfer--home movies. Reel 3
Goodyear Zeppelin hangar with people walking on road nearby. Scratched film in early part. This was the Goodyear Airdock in Akron, Ohio, built in 1929, the largest building at the tim...more
4) Springfield, OH, neighborhood--Robert N. Lupfer--home movies. Reel 4
Three girls rollerskate on sidewalk and by house. One falls down. Small boy with fishing rod. Pageant or school event outside. Swimming pool, man on diving board in full-body swimsuit...more
5) Princeton Reunion, the P-rade--Robert N. Lupfer--home movies. Reel 5
Robert N. Lupfer graduated from Princeton in 1909. This may be his 20th reunion. Car and POV from windshield driving in countryside. Arrival at stone building with clock tower, the...more
6) New England Trip--Robert N. Lupfer--home movies. Reel 6
Boy with chicken, touches wattles. Children play piano, dark, poor exposure. At the pool, women sit on brick wall. People dive. Many children. Two men on edge of deck. Swimming in...more
7) Dude ranch vacation--Robert N. Lupfer--home movies. Reel 7
Boy in cap on bridge in city. The visit to a dude ranch may be a guest ranch near Wickenburg, AZ, as the following reel includes the Remuda Ranch Rodeo held in Wickenburg. Dude r...more
8) Visit to Arizona--Robert N. Lupfer--home movies. Reel 8
Post new comment
Most Popular Collections:
Featured Hidden Collections:
- Bath Historical Society Collection
- Groth, Ernest Collection
- Hiram Historical Society Collection
- Medomak Camp Collection
- Pearmain, Pierce Collection
- Maine Department of Agriculture Collection
- Maine State Museum Collection
- Vinalhaven Historical Society Collection
- Stillman, Ernest G. Collection
- Hodgkins, Earl Collection
- Bailey, Solon and Betty Collection
- Bangor Historical Society/WABI Collection
- Bradley, Cameron Collection
- Brown Paper Company Collection
- Bucksport High School Football Collection
- Bucksport Junior High School Collection