Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr. Collection
Creator(s)Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr.
DonorPatricia A. Fuller
Credit: Mortimer B. Fuller Collection, Northeast Historic Film. Mortimer B. Fuller Jr. and friends on boat to Europe, 1927.
Primary Format and Extent
45 film reels
Collection Date Range
1926 - 1961
The Mortimer B. Fuller Jr. Collection contains 45 reels of amateur 16 mm shot primarily by Mortimer B. Fuller Jr. between 1926 and 1966. Mr. Fuller was a lifelong resident of Northeastern Pennsylvania who was especially interested in nature and wildlife. He worked for the International Salt Company, and after becoming president of the company he established the Antilles Salt Co. in the West Indies. The films record Mortimer Fuller's travels around the world and his family at home in Pennsylvania. His collection includes several reels from East African safaris in 1930 and 1973, a hunting trip to Canada in 1926, various trips around the United States from the 1920s-1960s, horse shows and training, and a business trip to Bonaire in 1960 to set up a solar salt factory.
Mortimer Bartine Fuller Jr. was born in 1907 in Scranton, Pennsylvania, and grew up on his family estate, Overlook, in Lackawanna County. He married Frances Mears Acker in 1932. Mrs. Fuller was an accomplished horsewoman, who had won many championships throughout her school years. After marriage she continued to ride competitively, often teamed with her husband. They had three children: Mortimer III, Patricia, and Frances (Fay). Fuller was a resident of northern Pennsylvania his whole life, and died in Scranton in 1989 at the age of 82. He was president of International Salt Co., and after his retirement in 1972 he established the Antilles Salt Co. in the West Indies. Fuller was also the director of several banks in Pennsylvania and an elected delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1956 and 1960. In addition to these accomplishments he was especially interested in nature and wildlife and was an avid traveler, hunter, and fisherman. He went on a pioneering safari to Africa in 1930, which is documented in this collection. In 1982 he donated his trophies from this expedition to the Everhart Museum and they are currently on display at the Overlook Estate in Dalton, PA.
People and OrganizationsMortimer B. Fuller, Jr.
Northeast Historic Film
The Collection is open for research.
Condition Governing Reproduction and Use
Authorization to reuse and/or reproduce must be obtained from Northeast Historic Film. See http://oldfilm.org/content/stock-footage-licensing for more information.
Items in this collection: 45
Showing 1 - 10 of 45:
1) Canada, 1926--Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr.--home movies. Reel 1
[Home made titles in quotes]. "Leaving St. [?]", "Camp no. 1", "En Route in Our Rolls Royce," leave in a horse drawn carriage. Hunting party. "Camp no. 2" Porter displays his bag with...more
2) Trip to Europe, England, Hackney horses, 1927--Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr.--home movies. Reel 2
On ocean liner deck, crowd on the dock, crowd waves as boat pulls away, shots of other boats, man and woman reading on deck and hiding from camera. Various scenes on the deck of the oc...more
3) Trip to Europe, United Kingdom, Castle Howard, Oxford, 1927--Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr.--home movies. Reel 3
[Home made titles in quotes]. "European Trip of ELF and MBF, Jr., 1927." Airplane taxiing, pan of planes lined up, shots of ground from an airplane in flight. Windmill. Castle Howard...more
4) Trip to Europe, United Kingdom, Budapest, 1927--Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr.--home movies. Reel 4
Site of Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" (the church at Stoke Poges); Oxford?, Tower of London? or maybe Windsor Castle; white cliffs, Castle Howard with gardens, airport(...more
5) Horse show, 1927--Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr.--home movies. Reel 5
Horse show probably in PA [Pennsylvania]more
6) Hackney Horses, 1927--Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr.--home movies. Reel 6
Horseshow/ out of town? Hackneys, saddle ad infinitummore
7) Horse training and jumping, 1928--Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr.--home movies. Reel 7
Back home jumping, schooling in paddock at barnmore
8) Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr.--home movies. Reel 8
Shooting at the lake, film practice before Africa tripmore
9) Horses, 1929--Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr.--home movies. Reel 9
More horse stuff / schooling, breakingmore
10) Trip West pt. 2, 1929--Mortimer B. Fuller, Jr.--home movies. Reel 10
Amateur home movies taken on a trip in the Western United States. Footage includes a hose show/ rodeo, shots of the scenery, and an amateur Western.more
Post new comment
Most Popular Collections:
Featured Hidden Collections:
- Bath Historical Society Collection
- Groth, Ernest Collection
- Hiram Historical Society Collection
- Medomak Camp Collection
- Pearmain, Pierce Collection
- Maine Department of Agriculture Collection
- Maine State Museum Collection
- Vinalhaven Historical Society Collection
- Stillman, Ernest G. Collection
- Hodgkins, Earl Collection
- Bailey, Solon and Betty Collection
- Bangor Historical Society/WABI Collection
- Bradley, Cameron Collection
- Brown Paper Company Collection
- Bucksport High School Football Collection
- Bucksport Junior High School Collection