Credit: WCBB Collection, Northeast Historic Film. Mary Astor in a Holman Day Company production, 1921.
Primary Format and Extent
video (30 min.) : sd., col. ; 3/4 in.
Secondary Format and Extent
video (90 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.
Collection Date Range
1986 - 1990
Collection contains documentaries and other factual works. "Remember the Maine" (1986) brings together historians to discuss the Spanish-American War and destruction of the battleship Maine. "Establishment of a Maine Film Commission" (1987) is a television feature report on the Commission and includes a short history of film production in Maine. "Hollywood on the Kennebec" (1988) includes the work of the Holman Day film production company in the early 1920s. Collection also contains five minutes of Portland trolley footage. See also MPBN Collection and MPBC Collection.
Station WCBB-TV was founded by Colby, Bates and Bowdoin Colleges. In 1992 it merged with MPBN to become the Maine Public Broadcasting Corporation. "On Location" is a series produced by WCBB.
People and OrganizationsHolman Day Company
Items in this collection: 5
Showing 1 - 5 of 5:
1) Hollywood on the Kennebec
Dated June 1988. Made for broadcast show regarding history of moving image in Maine. Includes clip from 'Way Down East,' screening of that film at Grand Theatre in Ellsworth, short inte...more
2) These Memories of Maine
Dated March 4, 1987. Program on Maine film history mixing contemporary footage with archival footage. Introduction includes quick cuts: CU of building with turrets, storefront, wood saw...more
3) Establishment of a Maine Film Commission
Dated May 21, 1987. Television feature report on establishment of the Maine Film Commission (a division of the state department of tourism) including a short history of film production...more
4) Remember the Maine
Historians discuss the Spanish-American War and theorize about what or who destroyed the battleship 'USS Maine.'more
Post new comment
Most Popular Collections:
Featured Hidden Collections:
- Bath Historical Society Collection
- Groth, Ernest Collection
- Hiram Historical Society Collection
- Medomak Camp Collection
- Pearmain, Pierce Collection
- Maine Department of Agriculture Collection
- Maine State Museum Collection
- Vinalhaven Historical Society Collection
- Stillman, Ernest G. Collection
- Hodgkins, Earl Collection
- Bailey, Solon and Betty Collection
- Bangor Historical Society/WABI Collection
- Bradley, Cameron Collection
- Brown Paper Company Collection
- Bucksport High School Football Collection
- Bucksport Junior High School Collection