Maine State Library Collection
Primary Format and Extent
film (860 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. reversal pos.
Secondary Format and Extent
video (115 min.) : sd., col. ; 3/4 in.
Collection Date Range
1930 - 1986
Collection contains educational works produced by Maine Public Broadcasting Network (MPBN), local television stations and universities, and the state's Department of Human Services. Programs explore various aspects of Maine ecology, life and culture, including "Venture in Mission to Maine" (1980) about the role of the Maine Diocese in community services and "Sisters in Harmony" (1982) about a women's barbershop singing competition. Collection also contains interviews and press conferences: episodes of the "Mainetide" series with host Mary Mayo (1982), and eight "Longley News Conferences" (1978) in which Maine governor James Longley discusses state revenues, taxation and Native American land claims. Collection also contains unidentified home movies ca. 1966, with footage of outdoor sports, a carnival in Waterville, and wedding festivities with musicians. Collection also includes public service announcements on public safety and prints of 16 mm. educational films about Maine geography, culture, history and industry. See also MPBN Collection.
The Maine State Library is located in Augusta and seeks to preserve and make accessible books and other documents significant to Maine's history and people.
People and OrganizationsJames Longley
Subject(s)Dancing, Religion, State governments, Cities and towns, Community Life, Dancing, Ecology, Fairs, Governors--United States, Health, Literature, Music, Native Americans, Religion, Sports, State governments, Weddings, Women
Northeast Historic Film
The Collection is open for research.
Condition Governing Reproduction and Use
Authorization to reuse and/or reproduce must be obtained from Northeast Historic Film. See http://www.oldfilm.org/research for more information.
Post new comment
Most Popular Collections:
Featured Hidden Collections:
- Bath Historical Society Collection
- Groth, Ernest Collection
- Hiram Historical Society Collection
- Medomak Camp Collection
- Pearmain, Pierce Collection
- Maine Department of Agriculture Collection
- Maine State Museum Collection
- Vinalhaven Historical Society Collection
- Stillman, Ernest G. Collection
- Hodgkins, Earl Collection
- Bailey, Solon and Betty Collection
- Bangor Historical Society/WABI Collection
- Bradley, Cameron Collection
- Brown Paper Company Collection
- Bucksport High School Football Collection
- Bucksport Jr. High School Collection
- Bucksport Junior High School Collection
- Camden Hills Regional High School Collection