Ivan Flye Collection
Credit: Ivan Flye Collection, Northeast Historic Film. A worm digging elder, accompanying young men on the mud flats in 1942.
Primary Format and Extent
film (1,300 ft.) : si., col., 16 mm. print.
Secondary Format and Extent
video (60 min.) : si., col. ; 3/4 in.
Collection Date Range
1940 - 1943
Collection contains a documentary, "Maine Marine Worm Industry," about the process of digging for worms during low tide, washing and packaging them in rockweed, and shipping them by rail and truck. The film includes intertitles and shows the tools used for worming as well as snow scenes of the Maine Bait Company, among other businesses.
Ivan Walter Flye (1916-2000), born in Troy, Maine. Enlisted during World War II, 1942 to 1946 served in the Air Force Photography division.Established Maine Bait Co. in 1940, retiring in 1985. Flye chaired the Maine Marine Worm Conservation Committee. He also operated Pictorial Studios, a Newcastle photo studio, from 1938-1987. In 1954 he married Lucille Nash, and lived for many years on Church Street in Damariscotta.Surviving are his wife of Damariscotta; a son, Charles A. of Greenwich, Conn.; a daughter, Martha Gault of Colorado; a stepdaughter, Judith Graffam of Round Pond; two brothers, Claude of Arizona and Robert of Ellsworth; 10 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. [Info from Wiscasset newspaper, via http://www.findagrave.com/]
Post new comment
Most Popular Collections:
Featured Hidden Collections:
- Bath Historical Society Collection
- Groth, Ernest Collection
- Hiram Historical Society Collection
- Medomak Camp Collection
- Pearmain, Pierce Collection
- Maine Department of Agriculture Collection
- Maine State Museum Collection
- Vinalhaven Historical Society Collection
- Stillman, Ernest G. Collection
- Hodgkins, Earl Collection
- Bailey, Solon and Betty Collection
- Bangor Historical Society/WABI Collection
- Bradley, Cameron Collection
- Brown Paper Company Collection
- Bucksport High School Football Collection
- Bucksport Junior High School Collection