Rick Johnston Collection
Primary Format and Extent
film (100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. reversal pos.
Secondary Format and Extent
film (2,000 ft.) : sd., col. ; 16 mm. print.
Collection Date Range
1970 - 1975
This collection contains footage of the original Samoset Hotel located in coastal Rockland, Maine, taken after the hotel's closing and before its destruction by fire. Footage includes shots of the lawns and ocean, kitchen, dining and public rooms, a bedroom view and the Samoset water tower. Collection also contains a documentary, "Housing: Is There a Crisis?" made by WLBZ-TV of Bangor.
Rick Johnston produced short 16 mm. college films in the 1970s, and directed the WLBZ housing film. The Bay Point Hotel, later renamed the Samoset, opened with a gala on 4 July 1889 and became a New England landmark. The hotel changed owners several times as it flourished in the early 1900s. Closed in 1969, the original building was destroyed by fire on 13 October 1972. Rebuilt within six years, the Samoset Resort continues to operate year-round.
People and OrganizationsSamoset Hotel
Items in this collection: 2
Showing 1 - 2 of 2:
1) [Rick Johnston--home movies] Samoset
Amateur footage of the original Samoset hotel located in coastal Rockport overlooking Penobscot Bay, taken during the period after the hotel's closing in 1969 and before its destruction...more
Post new comment
Most Popular Collections:
Featured Hidden Collections:
- Bath Historical Society Collection
- Groth, Ernest Collection
- Hiram Historical Society Collection
- Medomak Camp Collection
- Pearmain, Pierce Collection
- Maine Department of Agriculture Collection
- Maine State Museum Collection
- Vinalhaven Historical Society Collection
- Stillman, Ernest G. Collection
- Hodgkins, Earl Collection
- Bailey, Solon and Betty Collection
- Bangor Historical Society/WABI Collection
- Bradley, Cameron Collection
- Brown Paper Company Collection
- Bucksport High School Football Collection
- Bucksport Junior High School Collection