Good Will-Hinckley Collection
Credit: Good Will-Hinckley Collection, Northeast Historic Film. George W. Hinckley, 1940.
Primary Format and Extent
film (2,300 ft.) : si. and sd., b&w and col. ; 16 mm. reversal pos.
Secondary Format and Extent
video (80 min.) : si. and sd., b&w and col. ; 3/4 in.
Collection Date Range
1931 - 1941
Collection contains footage of the Good Will-Hinckley School, a farm school in Fairfield, Maine, with scenes of surroundings and various school activities such as farming, ice cutting, sports and graduations. The films show students with livestock and harvesting potatoes, sawing wood in winter, playing football and golf, and attending church services. "The Good Will Idea" (1940) was produced by Carlton Brown. The founder, George Walter Hinckley, explains why he built the community. Collection also contains three promotional films produced by the Republican National Committee ca. 1940: "The Truth About Taxes" presents views of U.S. taxes and interviews with taxpayers superimposed with scenes of industry, war and the German Nazi movement; "We the People" recreates Philadelphia scenes of the U.S. Constitution founding fathers; and "Willkie-McNary Know Their Farming" shows two farmers at work. VHS tape is "CBS Sunday Morning" with a Charles Kuralt story on the school.
George Walter Hinckley founded the farm school based on his philosophical concept of "reinsophy" (religion, intellectualism, society, and physical fitness). Carlton Brown was a board member of Good Will-Hinckley. The Good Will-Hinckley School continues to operate on a 2,450-acre campus with the papers of the organization on site. WorldCat George W. Hinckley published "The Story of Good Will Farm" and many other works. WorldCat
Subject(s)Agriculture, Business Enterprises, Churches, Community Life, Domestic animals, Federal government, Ice Industry, Logging, Manners and customs, Politics, Religion, Schools, Students, Technology, War
Post new comment
Most Popular Collections:
Featured Hidden Collections:
- Bath Historical Society Collection
- Groth, Ernest Collection
- Hiram Historical Society Collection
- Medomak Camp Collection
- Pearmain, Pierce Collection
- Maine Department of Agriculture Collection
- Maine State Museum Collection
- Vinalhaven Historical Society Collection
- Stillman, Ernest G. Collection
- Hodgkins, Earl Collection
- Bailey, Solon and Betty Collection
- Bangor Historical Society/WABI Collection
- Bradley, Cameron Collection
- Brown Paper Company Collection
- Bucksport High School Football Collection
- Bucksport Jr. High School Collection
- Bucksport Junior High School Collection
- Camden Hills Regional High School Collection