Everett Foster Collection
Credit: Walter V. Mitton home movies, Everett Foster Collection, Northeast Historic Film. Mitton building a model of Brickett Bridge, Andover, Maine, 1949.
Primary Format and Extent
film (1,850 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. print.
Secondary Format and Extent
film (100,800 ft.) : si. and sd., b&w and col. ; 16 mm. print.
Collection Date Range
1920 - 1980
Collection contains factual works, including "All But Forgotten: Holman Francis Day, Filmmaker" (1978) by Everett Foster about Maine author/film producer Holman Day, "Dawn of America" with Maine footage shot for the Maine Sesquicentennial Commission, and "A Very Delicate Balance" concerning ecology. Collection also contains fiction and unedited footage: Holman Day material including 1920 two-reelers produced with Edgar Jones titled "Knight of the Pines" and "Cupid, Registered Guide" and fragments (1,450 ft.) of Holman Day films. Collection also contains political spots, advertising, and promotional works: footage shot by Everett Foster of William S. Cohen and other Maine Republicans running for public office in the 1970s; and, promotional films for various Maine-produced consumer products as well as for literacy and the National Guard. Collection contains the 16 mm. films by Walter V. Mitton shot from 1936-1955, with scenes of the Maine Turnpike and other public works, Mitton family members, and travels to Niagara Falls and the Gaspé Peninsula. Mitton was a member of the Amateur Cinema League (editing ACL titles on several of his films) and of the Androscoggin Camera Club. The Mitton films were acquired by Everett Foster.
See also British Film Institute Collection.
See also British Film Institute Collection.
Everett Foster was an independent filmmaker based in Maine: Gardiner (1970-1979) and Portland (1979-1986). In 1986 he left Maine to work at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. Holman Francis Day was an author who produced over twenty of his stories as two-reel films in Maine in the early 1920s; he founded Holman Day Productions and worked with filmmaker Edgar Jones. Walter V. Mitton (1889-1961) was a civil engineer who filmed bridge building and public works projects in Maine including the Maine Turnpike. He was born in New Brunswick, Canada, and moved to Augusta, Maine, where he founded a construction company, Walter V. Mitton, Inc. He was president of the Associated General Contractors of Maine.
People and OrganizationsWilliam S. Cohen
Genre(s)Political television commercials , Unedited footage, Amateur, Documentary, Educational, Fiction, Promotional , Unedited footage
Subject(s)Road construction industry, Armed forces, Automobiles, Community Life, Ecology, Families, Legislators, Road construction industry, Tourist trade, Transportation, Travel, Bridges, Technology
Northeast Historic Film
The Collection is open for research.
Condition Governing Reproduction and Use
Authorization to reuse and/or reproduce must be obtained from Northeast Historic Film. See http://oldfilm.org/content/stock-footage-licensing for more information.
Items in this collection: 17
Showing 1 - 10 of 17:
1) Winter and Auto Trip Around Gaspé Peninsula--Walter V. Mitton--home movies. Reel 10
Viewing notes from VHS, February 2012. No slate at head of access copy. Views from train of river in winter, people standing by ice dam. At Greenville,Maine, train station, crowds...more
2) Air Circus Bangor--Walter V. Mitton--home movies. Reel 11
Compiled black-and-white and color home movies including scenes of ice skating, baseball, an aerial show, and a 1940 appearance in Bangor of World War I flying ace Captain Eddie Rickenb...more
3) Stonington & Deer Isle--Walter V. Mitton--home movies. Reel 12
Pan of field, trees, water, land, mountains. Shot of three women, one man, one boy, and a baby girl; car going over Deer Isle causeway; lobster boats and sailboats in Stonington, Maine,...more
4) Municipal Operations, Brewer--Walter V. Mitton--home movies. Reel 13
Compiled black-and-white and color home movies featuring 1939 scenes of Municipal Operations workers and the construction of the Municipal Auditorium in Brewer, Maine.more
5) Rockland Buildings--Walter V. Mitton--home movies. Reel 14
Title, 'Rockland has many fine Federal, County and City public buildings in well kept and attractive settings.' Color, White house with columns around front door and balcony above front...more
6) Swanville Farm Apple Trees--Walter V. Mitton--home movies. Reel 15
Color home movies documenting work activity at a commercial orchard in Swanville, Maine, circa 1940.more
7) Hurricane, Alewives, Maple Syrup, Turnpike--Walter V. Mitton--home movies. Reel 16
b&w. Title, 'W.V. Mitton Production' in script. Man walking down tree-lined street, two people talking by door, views of treetops with wind blowing, garage missing door; tree fallen on...more
8) Wedding and Hula Hoop Girls--Walter V. Mitton--home movies. Reel 17
Color logo of the Amateur Cinema League followed by titles, 'Thayer and Macdonald,' 'April 26, 1952,' 'I pronounce you man and wife.' Faded color. Bride and groom walk out of church, th...more
9) Niagara Falls--Walter V. Mitton--home movies. Reel 18
Title, 'Canadian Falls,' looking across to top of falls, shot looking over falls, falls with heavy mist in foreground, ice-covered rocks near falls, man looking up at falls. Title, 'Ame...more
10) Snow plowing, rivers and travel--Walter V. Mitton--home movies. Reel 19
Title, 'Muse Grams, 1948' with Maine state seal; Title, 'Oscar 1 1/2 h.p., 1 dog starter,' man and dog near small lawnmower-sized snowplow. Titles: 'February 14, 1948,' 'February 29, 19...more
Post new comment
Most Popular Collections:
Featured Hidden Collections:
- Bath Historical Society Collection
- Groth, Ernest Collection
- Hiram Historical Society Collection
- Medomak Camp Collection
- Pearmain, Pierce Collection
- Maine Department of Agriculture Collection
- Maine State Museum Collection
- Vinalhaven Historical Society Collection
- Stillman, Ernest G. Collection
- Hodgkins, Earl Collection
- Bailey, Solon and Betty Collection
- Bangor Historical Society/WABI Collection
- Bradley, Cameron Collection
- Brown Paper Company Collection
- Bucksport High School Football Collection
- Bucksport Jr. High School Collection
- Bucksport Junior High School Collection
- Camden Hills Regional High School Collection